The original castle on the Dunboyne estate, owned by the Butler family, was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell. The first part of the present day Castle was built at the start of the 1700’s and the building that we see today was completed in 1764.
The last of the Butlers to reside in the Castle was the 22nd Baron of Dunboyne John Butler, Catholic Bishop of Cork.
Since then the Castle has passed through many families - the Butler-O’Briens, Sadlier, Morrough-Ryans and the Watchmans.
In 1955, it became home to the Good Shepherd Sisters who remained here until 1991 when it was bought by the Keating family, before the present owners bought it in 1999. It was in need of much repair and was restored to its original state and opened as Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa in 2006.